- Triple J Chophouse & Brew Company - My absoulte favorite place in town; this place deserves a post all on it's own. Go there and just experience it... fantastic food,
- Ranch House - What a great place for break
- Jazz - A Louisiana Kitchen - Great cajun cooking, atmosphere, & live music. Order the Shrimp Czarina with a "Swamp Water" or a Chilton.
- Thai Pepper - Thai flavoring, fast & friendly service, good price, delicious & different, cramped atmosphere (which is strangely a nice change for Lubbock restaurants) Order the Panang Curry, or any of the curries.
- Bless Your Heart (site n/a) - healthy, but still very tasty. Get the Smothered Burrito, it's so good you won't believe that it's actually good for you, too! Top that off with a frozen yogurt with fresh fruit.
At 19th & University (mainly east of the intersection, but Cafe J is located West)
- Cafe J - Honestly, I haven't been here but a good friend of mine holds this as one of the best places in town, and I take her word... (will be sampling it when she returns from summer vacation)
- McAllister's - a franchised restaurant, but great the Sweet Tea, Potatoes, & Sandwiches make it impossible to ignore. Get The Spud Max, Memphian, or Open Face Roast Beef (which is colossal!!) ...and you've got to wash it all down with a big 'ol glass of Sweet Tea (reminds me of the tea in "Good Directions" by Billy Currington)
- Josie's (site n/a) - This is a great cheap-food place, open 24 hours a day at most locations, one of the main [local] places that students hang out after bars/parties late at night. You can usually be pretty entertained here on Thurs-Sat nights at 2:15-3:30AM. Get any of their burritos, I go for the either a queso-smothered Chorizo or Barbacoa & Potato.
34th & Indiana (Indiana Gardens, and Picante's is 5-6 blocks east, but close)
- Cap Rock Cafe - great place to eat a wide selection of distinctly different takes on familiar dishes.. also a fun atmosphere (they have a cropduster flying out of the wall!) Get the Green Chili Cheeseburger & Texas Toothpicks, which are fried strips of jalapenos and onions.
- Peace o' Cake - this place is getting big, solely by word of mouth! It's a very unique store specializing only in cupcakes... they bake them fresh every morning and stay open until they sell out, you can tell this if they have their flag flying outside... great place and the owners are great people. Mississippi Mud Cupcake = yum.
- Picante's (site n/a) - the best place for cheap but quality mexican food. They have extremely low prices and give you heaps of delicious food, friendly staff. Get one of their gigantic breakfast burritos for $2, eat half, get it to-go and you've got two meals for $1 each! (it may be more if you add to it)