Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Today is the First Day.

Ever since I was a young boy, my mother has told me a lot of things, all sorts of phrases that have stuck with me throughout life. Some of these come from proverbs, some from her parents, some from the Bible, some from her own mind. One that sticks out to me right now is:

“Today is the first day of the rest of your life.”

Until recently, I never grasped or truly appreciated the meaning of this quote.

Upon a quick Google search, I see that it is an American proverb and this gets me thinking…

This quote is what fits right now. In my life, in your life, in the state of affairs of the country, and of the world, it is the first day of the rest of our lives. Let’s make it count.

Being an American proverb, this makes sense, as we have always been a go-getter society. In America, this phrase truly stands as the way it all works. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Your life.
Life, such a wonderful thing to appreciate. We only get one, you know.

I’ve been through a lot these last 6 months, all of which has made me so appreciative of simply being alive and free. I’m starting to see how much there is you can do in life, and how interesting it all is.

No more wasteful days sleeping all day long instead of other things, no more excessive drinking all of the time (now, I'm not saying it's bad to drink... that's part of LIVING! Just drinking in excess repeatedly), no more of all of this behaviour that has been dragging me down. No more excess spending (both on a personal and national level), no more thoughtless acts, no more behaviour that has been dragging us all down. It’s the first day of the rest of my life, and yours, and life is what we make of it.

I’m feeling rather positive about things right now, and I don’t know if it’s the coffee, or the thinking I’ve been doing, or if it’s just that I’m glad to be alive and everything is looking up, but this is what I’m feeling right now, and if there is any point to having a blog, it is to write down your thoughts about whatever you please.

So let’s see how my experiment with this thing goes.

I start off writing to myself, and anyone who stumbles upon this site, that’s all. If you are here by any reason, hope you enjoy reading, and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment